Farmscape for May 9, 2018
The Office of Manitoba's Chief Veterinary Officer reports all but three of the 80 swine herds infected during a 2017 PEDv outbreak have now reached presumptive negative or are transitioning to presumptive negative.
On April 28, 2017 the first of 80 cases of Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea was reported in southeastern Manitoba and the last case was reported October 24, 2017.
Dr. Glen Duizer, an Animal Health Surveillance Veterinarian with the Office of Manitoba's Chief Veterinary Officer, told those taking part in a PEDv Telephone Town Hall yesterday all but two of the 80 cases were reported in southeastern Manitoba and included 25 sow herds, 16 nurseries and 39 finishers.
Clip-Dr. Glen Duizer-Manitoba Agriculture:
Our current status is that we have 67 presumptive negative premises.
Of the 67 presumptive negative 19 of the 25 infected sow herds are now presumptive negative and there are 48 nursery finishers that are presumptive negative.
We have three remaining premises that have not moved from the positive status but essentially there are no clinical or actively shedding pigs on those premises and biocontainment is in place.
We have 10 transitional premises, five sow herds and five nurseries or finishers.
Those are premises that are working their way through to a presumptive negative status.
Our current trend or target is, I was a little bit more optimistic of this in April, but perhaps we're going to be a little it longer than the month of May to get our way all the way through but were still targeting for the end of this month in order to get most if not all of the remaining herds on to presumptive negative.
Dr. Duizer says the outbreak peaked in early July followed by a second spike in September which occurred as many of the previously infected feeder sites began moving pigs to slaughter.
For Farmscape.Ca, I'm Bruce Cochrane.
*Farmscape is a presentation of Sask Pork and Manitoba Pork